My First Bookmaking Project

This week, with the help and advice of my coworkers, I embarked on my first bookmaking project. I started with a basic design around using Chicago screws and I wanted to share some progress images. After this experience I think the process is the special part of the book, even though the finished result is very pretty (if I do say so myself).

Pieces of eska board cut for the cover

Pieces of eska board for the cover, this will be like the skeleton of the book.

Putting rice paste onto the eska board

Putting rice paste onto the eska board to attach the cover paper

Click below the break for more:

Back of the eska board, covered with Nepalese paper

Back of the eska board, covered with Nepalese paper.

Building the spine with bookcloth and more eska board

Building the spine with bookcloth and more eska board

Punching the interior pages for the Chicago screws

Punching the interior pages for the Chicago screws

Interior pages of the book

Interior pages of the book

Cover of the book with spine and holes, ready to be attached.

Cover of the book with spine and holes, ready to be attached.

Spine of the book, ready to go

Spine of the book, ready to go.

Inside of the book, screwed together.

Inside of the book, screwed together.

Finished book, all tied up and pretty.

Finished book, all tied up and pretty.

Materials required: eska board, paper for interior pages (I used Fabriano Tiziano Bianco to make 40 pages), 3/4″ Chicago Screws in brass, book cloth (chocolate), cover made with Nepalese paper in Petite Fleures, Yamato rice paste.

Tools required: Exacto knife, bookboard punch, hammer, metal ruler, bone folder.

*Mariel*

PinterestFacebookTwitterShare

Leave a Reply

*